MAJOR WORK EXPERIENCE
- Northwestern University School of Law
Chicago, IL (2015 - 2017) - MSc in Law
Area of Specialization: Workplace Discrimination, the role of statistical evidence in court
- Columbia University, Department of Psychology
NYC, NY (1982 - 1989) M.Phil, Ph.D.
Area of Specialization: experimental social psychology
- University of Chicago, Division of Social Sciences
Chicago, IL (1979 - 1980)
M.A. - Area of Specialization: research methodology in behavioral science
- Goddard College, Plainfield VT, credits transferred from Dickinson College
Major: creative arts psychotherapy
ADDITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- CEO & Principal Consultant
Employee Motivation & Performance Assessment, Inc. (EMPA)
Chelsea, MI - April 1998 to Present)
- Instructor (teaching classes on survey design, statistics, & research methodology)
Institute for Social Research, Survey Research Center
Summer Institute, University of Michigan (July 2009 to Present)
- Lecturer (teaching classes on survey design, statistics, & research methodology)
School of Public Health, University of Michigan (September 2008 to April 2014)
[intermittent teaching on Recall Status until 2016]
- Expert Witness
Employee discrimination, surveys & assessments, contract disputes requiring
statistical analysis (September 2003 to Present)
- Team Director & Senior Consultant
Hewlett-Packard, formerly EDS-Survey Services - August 1991 to November 1996
- Assistant Research Scientist
Cognitive Science & Machine Intelligence Lab
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor - March 1993 to December 1999
- Adjunct Research Scientist
National Quality Research Center
University of Michigan Business School - Ann Arbor - June 1997 to June 1998
- Research Assistant
Computer Science Department, Watson Research Center, IBM
Yorktown, NY - August 1986 to April 1987
- Research Assistant
Psychology Department, Yale University
New Haven, CT - December 1981 to September 1982
- American Psychology - Law Society
- Society for Empirical Legal Studies
- Society of Industrial/Organizational Psychologists (SIOP)
- Society for Public Health Education
- Association for Psychological Science (Charter Member)
- American Association for Public Opinion Research
SAMPLE of SUPPLEMENTARY EXPERIENCE
- Who’s Who in Science & Engineering (second edition, 1994 - 1995)
- Faculty Fellowship, Department of Psychology, Columbia University (1982 - 1987)
- Scholarship, French Ministry of Education & Université de la Source
Orleans, France (1967)
SAMPLE of LITIGATION EXPERIENCE
- Served as consultant (~30 years) designed & analyzed assessments for more than 7 million employees in over 70 countries
- Held managerial positions (~20 years) in academic, industrial, & research settings
- Lectured at Columbia University on experimental psychology, social psychology, & statistics
- Wrote & patented four web-based assessments & surveys for the workplace
- Provided survey services for corporations (e.g., Disney, FedEx, Mars, Credit Suisse, Coke, GM, UPS, Ford, Duke Energy)
- Provided survey services for non-profits & government agencies (e.g., US Department of Justice, Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- Provided survey services for healthcare industry (e.g., Harvard Pilgrim HC, Pfizer, Novo Nordisk, Univ. of Michigan HS,)
- Conducted a statistical analysis of utilization rates among psychiatric patients for Billings Hospital, University of Chicago
- Interviewed by Forbes Magazine on EMPA’s National Benchmark Study™ & Benchmarks™; Forbes.Com (08/24/09)
- Testified to Congress on DOJ study examining the relation between working conditions, motivation, & job performance
SAMPLE of PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Burns v. Interstate Brands Corporation (AKA Hostess Bakeries); expert witness (EW) for D (settled ~ 5/9/04)
Ran statistical analysis of job assignments for evidence of disparate impact (DI) and/or disparate treatment (DT).
- Tower Automotive Products v. Lamb Technicon; EW for D (settled ~ 8/31/05)
Ran statistical tests of 4 million datapoints tracking assembly-line failures in breach of contract suit.
- [Corp. A] v. [Corp. B] EW for D testified to ICCs International Court of Arbitration in The Hague (settled ~ 2/10/12)
Analyzed psychometric properties of assessment P used to compute damages in contract breach suit. Testified (details sealed).
- Scott v. City of Indianapolis; EW on behalf of the Ps (settled ~ 7/19/12)
Ran statistical analysis of data from Human Resources Information System (HRIS) to evaluate Ps claim of DI based on race.
Withstood Daubert Challenge: 3-25-2010 US District Court, S.D. IN, Indianapolis Division.
- American Postal Workers Union, AFL-CIO v. United States Postal Service; EW for P (settled ~ 3/7/13)
Ran statistical analysis of 111 postal workers who did or did not receive letter of intent regarding job relocation, for DI analysis
- EEOC v. Bass Pro Inc.; EW for P and the EEOC (settled ~ 3/4/2014)
Designed a cross-validated assessment for verifying race of several hundred job applicants to rebut exclusion of Ps expert
- Sweeney v. Washington Board of Pilotage; EW for P alleging DT violation (settled ~ 10/1/14)
Ran statistical tests of 1.03 million datapoints from pilots licensing test for evidence of sex discrimination; Deposed (8/22/13).
- Cardelle et al. v. Miami Fraternal Order of Police; EW for P alleging ADEA violation (settled ~ 11/25/2015)
Ran statistical tests of 221K datapoints from pension payments & HRIS for evidence of age discrimination
- Grevera v. Microsoft Inc.; EW for P alleging ADEA violation (settled ~ 8/29/14)
Ran statistical tests of 4.9 million datapoints from job evaluations & HRIS for evidence of age discrimination
Withstood Daubert Challenge (details sealed).
- Schmidt v. Gronik; EW for D alleging violation of ADA, FLSA & Clean Hands Doctrine (settled ~ 5/14/14)
Ran statistical analysis of HRIS data and analyzed documents re ADA, FLSA & Clean Hands Doctrine; Deposed (8/1/13).
- Swann v. Time Warner Entertainment; EW for D regarding alleged DI and DT violations. (Dismissed 12/15/15)
Ran statistical analysis of HRIS data; analyzed validity of performance appraisal & employment screening test (details sealed)
- National Treasury Employee Union v. Social Security Admin.; EW for P in binding arbitration (Complaint #1 settled ~ 8/28/15)
Analyzed HRIS data; evaluated performance assessments validity & evidence of DI using covariates. Testified (details sealed)
- EEOC v. FAPS; EW for P and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (settled ~ 4/28/16)
Designed and ran a cross-validated assessment to determine race of 900 job applicants by mail, for DI analysis; Deposed (12/9/13)
Withstood Daubert Challenge: 9-26-14 US District Court, District of N.J.;
- Nevis v. Jacobs Telecommunications Inc.; EW. for P re. Ds apparent failure to accommodate P under ADA (settled ~ 6/1/16)
Researched information on procedures for using workplace assessments to conduct drug-testing of employees
- Johnson v. ABF Freight System; EW for P (settled ~ 2/15/17)
Evaluated validity of promotional process
- US v. City of Jacksonville [FL]; EW for D (settled ~ 1/13/17)
Ran statistical tests of 179 million datapoints from promotion exams & HRIS for evidence of DI; Deposed (3/4/16 & 3/14/16)
Withstood Three Daubert Challenges (deemed moot).
- US v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania & Pennsylvania State Police; EW for D (settled ~ 4/4/18)
Wrote rebuttals of reports by Ps EWs regarding evidence of DI; Deposed (7/14/16)
- Neff v. City of East Lansing; EW for D (Summary Judgment Granted 4/20/17)
Evaluated validity of workplace assessment and ran statistical analysis evaluating evidence of DT & DI
- Grzebyk, Shin & Hardrick v. Auto Club Insurance Assn. [of AAA]; EW for P (settled ~ 9/12/19)
Evaluated survey methodology used by D to set compensation rates for home health assistants; Deposed (3/10/17)
- Miller v. Port Authority of NY & NJ; EW for P (Still in litigation)
Evaluated Ds claim that Ps request for reasonable accommodation would necessarily entail an undue hardship.
Withstood Daubert Challenge: 12-20-2017 US District Court, District of NJ
- Jones & Barnes v. Bd. of Trustees of Univ. of Il et al.; EW for P (Still in litigation)
Evaluated interview process used to make promotions to Chief Engineer; ran statistical analyses; Deposed, Barnes, (11/30/17)
Withstood Daubert Challenge: 3-25-2019 US District Court, Northern District of IL, Eastern Division (deemed moot)
- Herron v. AT&T; EW for P (status of litigation uncertain) (Details sealed)
Evaluated termination records for evidence of discrimination
- Wesley v. KY Transportation Cabinet; EW for P (still in litigation)
Evaluated employment data on promotions, salary, raises and performance bonuses
- Robinson v. Des Moines Public Schools; EW for D (still in litigation)
Evaluated Ps motion to be designated Class Representative for a proposed class; evaluating employment data.
Withstood Daubert challenge: 10-2-2018 Iowa District Court, Polk County, IA
- Scott et al v. State of NJ; EW for D (still in litigation)
Evaluated the role of race in job actions within the AGs office regarding Promotions, New Hires, Old Hires, & Job Performance.
- Mitchel v Jefferson County School District; EW for P (settled ~ 5/29/20)
Evaluated the psychometric properties of a workplace survey that was used to evaluate Ps work performance.
- Morrel-Samuels, P. (1990). John Bulwer's 1644 treatise on gesture
Semiotica, 79, 341-353
- Morrel-Samuels, P., & Krauss, R. (1992). Word familiarity predicts temporal asynchrony between gesture &
Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory & Cognition, 18, (3) 615-622
- Morrel-Samuels, P., (4/1/96) U.S. Patent No. 5,743,742
“System for Measuring Leadership Effectiveness.”
- Morrel-Samuels, P., (8/18/98) U.S. Patent No. 5,795,155
“Leadership Assessment Tool & Method.”
- Morrel-Samuels, P., (12/28/99) U.S. Patent No. 6,007,340
“Method & System for Measuring Leadership Effectiveness.”
- Morrel-Samuels, P., (10/24/01) U.S. Patent No. 60/346,249 & 7,593,861
“Employee Assessment Tool”
- Morrel-Samuels, P. An objective measure of performance linked to employee motivation
In M. Cronin (Chair) Intex: A system for evaluating performance at INS. Briefing to staff & elected officials of US Congress, Wash. DC (6/30/98).
- Morrel-Samuels, P. (2002) Getting the truth into workplace surveys
Harvard Business Review, 80 (2) 111-118
- Morrel-Samuels, P. (2003) Web surveys’ hidden hazards
Harvard Business Review, 81 (7) 16-17
- Morrel-Samuels, P. & Goldman, E., (2007) Who, what, & where:
Guidelines for the statistical analysis of disparate impact in EEO litigation, Docket, 25, (2), pp.
- Morrel-Samuels, P., & Jacobson, P. J. (2008, March). Using statistical evidence to prove causality to non-statisticians.
Paper presented at the meeting of the American Psychology-Law Society, Jacksonville, FL
- Morrel-Samuels, P., Francis, E., & Shucard, S. (2009) Merged datasets:
An analytic tool for evidence-based management, California Management Review, 52 (1), pp.120-139.
- Morrel-Samuels, P., (2010, March) Distinguishing reverse discrimination from overcorrection:
Statistical methods for clarifying this neglected distinction & why it matters
Paper for American Psychology-Law Society, Vancouver, Canada
- Fritz, C., Curtin, J., Poitevineau, J., Tao, F., & Morrel-Samuels, P. (2012)
Player preferences among new & old violins
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109 (3) 760-763
- Morrel-Samuels, P. & Goldman, E., (2014) Workplace assessments: Thirteen ways to invite litigation & thirteen ways to avoid it
Presented at the Annual Conference of the American Psychological
Association, Washington DC.
- Morrel-Samuels, P. (2014) Using graphs in business, law, & public health to facilitate analysis of trends, impacts, & linkages
Presented at the Annual Conference of the American Psychological Association, Washington DC.
- Morrel-Samuels, P (2015) True or False: The Ricci Decision was Illogical & Problematic0l>
Paper to be presented at the annual conference of the European Association of Psychology & Law, Nuremburg, 8/4/15.